As part of sustainability and an effort to contribute to the better future of the environment and our university, Reeve Union is doing its part by practicing eco-friendly actions in order to reduce its impact upon the environment and reduce its carbon footprint.
Reeve Union continues to make a difference through actively engaging in efforts to reduce consumption and waste, generate and purchase renewable energy, curb pollution, green building and purchasing, sustainable landscapes, as well as promoting sustainability through outreach.
Dining Sustainable Foods
Not only do we want to promote sustainability but we also want to make it part of everyday living. This includes the things we buy and consume and the way different dining locations work hand-in-hand with sustainable actions to promote eco-friendliness across campus.
Sustainable Building Actions
- Food: By batch cooking we are able to minimize food waste, thus saving money and energy.
- Water: Have you noticed that Blackhawk Commons is trayless? By going trayless, we reduce food waste and save water. This also decreases the likelihood of students gaining the famous “freshmen 15” by limiting the amount of food being carried.
- Energy: The Energy Star Rated dishwashing machines conserve water and energy.
- Pulper: A pulper in Blackhawk Commons squeezes the water from compostable solid waste, making it lighter to transport and sends it to the university's bio-digester where it produces methane gas, which is used to generate electricity.
- Motion Sensors: Reeve Union & Blackhawk Commons incorporated motion light sensors throughout the buildings in different offices and areas to reduce energy waste.