Student Diversity & Leadership Conference
The Student Diversity & Leadership Conference is a free experience meant to provide students an environment that encourages self-exploration, understanding of others, and a deeper appreciation of those on our campus and in our community.
Saturday, March 15, 2014, Reeve Memorial Union
Optional service opportunity: Shamrock Shuffle
Consider signing up for the Shamrock Shuffle. You can fundraise through racing or volunteer to help setup. Volunteers who are attending the conference will be served lunch at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Funds raised at the Shamrock Shuffle benefit the Oshkosh United Way and multicultural programming at UWO. For more information about the race, visit the website.
Student Diversity and Leadership Conference
This year, we are partnering with Student Recreation to provide a volunteer opportunity for participants with the Shamrock Shuffle. Also, we are excited announce that Dr. Petra Roter will open our conference and welcome the students. Dr. Sylvia Carey-Butler will talk about Inclusive Excellence. Our keynote will be Stan Pearson II with his empowering words on “How to be the IT”. We have received several applications for programs from UWO students, staff, and faculty, and the call for program is still open. We will close the event with a cultural event, including Hmong dancers and a dinner that will feature Hmong food.
2:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Reeve Union 227
The day will feature a keynote speaker, entertainment, and a variety of workshops on the topics of diversity and leadership.
Provide sessions that explore other people's experiences
Identify opportunities for growth and development in the areas of leadership, diversity, and multiculturalism
Expose and challenge thoughts, actions, and beliefs
Shamrock Shuffle (Student Rec and Wellness Center/outdoors)
Students will have the opportunity to volunteer for the Shamrock Shuffle as a part of their conference experience.
7:00 a.m.: Shamrock Shuffle Set Up
10:00 a.m.: Shamrock Shuffle race
Lunch for participants and volunteers who are participating in the conference
Student Diversity and Leadership Conference (Reeve Union)
1:30 p.m.: Check-In
2:00 p.m.: Welcome
2:10 p.m.: Inclusive Excellence
2:30 p.m.: Keynote
3:35 p.m.: Session I
4:20 p.m.: Session II
5:05 p.m.: Session III
5:50 p.m. Entertainment and Dinner
7:00 p.m.: Closing
Session topics include the following:
· Archie Bunker's Neighborhood
· Beads of Privilege
· Being a Global Citizen
· Black Love in the 21st Century: Who is feeling it?
· Bridging Identities: Serving as an Effective Ally
· Diversity in Islam: Learning through Dialogue
· Expressing Sexual Orientation and Cultural Identities Through Professional Dress (We provide FREE clothing.)
· Finding the Rainbow Connection: Bridging the Gap between Your Passion and Social Change
· It’s Not Raining Men: Male Leadership on the College Campus
· LGBT Inclusion in Fraternities and Sororities
· Message Received? A Discussion on Unhealthy Media Messages and How They Affect Our Relationships, Our Community, and Our Culture
· Multicultural Student Panel
· Overcoming Obstacles
· The Oshkosh Civility Project
Women and Sports
Contact Danielle Jones (email@example.com) or 920-424-3181